Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Back From Atlanta

We got back late last night from a quick trip to Atlanta. DH was attending the annual AEA meetings, I went along for the wonders of Atlanta.

These are some of the wonders of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. It is not as well labeled as some botanical gardens (Fairchild Gardens in Miami, for example) but the greenhouse collection is beautiful, especially when the temperature outside is in the 20s. These are pitcher plants from the Andes, I think, but I didn't see a name card.
This is Dendrobium spectabile and it is quite spectacular: a totally frizzled orchid.

This orchid came with its own explanation, but I didn't smell the rotten meat scent.

The trip wasn't all plants, there were celebrities, too. I saw Merle Hazard perform (but I had to explain to my friends that his wife is the real celebrity)
and went to a luncheon in honor of Paul Krugman.
There was a little knitting, too. The Noro striped scarf is long enough now, and was put to good use in the in the uncharacteristic freezing Atlanta weather.

No comments: